Airtel recently announced the launch of the eSIM service, making it the country’s third telecom operator to do so. MTN and 9mobile were the first to launch the service.
As it is designed to provide unprecedented freedom and flexibility, eSIM is regarded as the next step in the evolution of Subscriber Identity Modules (SIM cards).
Numerous additional benefits come with the eSIM. Here are a few of them:
- You do not need to insert an eSIM into your phone, unlike a physical SIM, because it is already built into your smartphone, device, or wearable. Simply activate the eSIM with your account profile and you are ready to use all of the services that you would normally use with a physical SIM.
- With eSIM, you can assign multiple phone numbers to your smart device. It is useful for people who want to manage their personal and professional lives.
- Because your SIM is built into your device, the possibility of losing or damaging it is reduced.
- You no longer have to deal with SIM card cutting or adapter searches.
- Multiple mobile numbers, both physical and eSIM, can be used on the same device with eSIM. This eliminates the need to carry around multiple devices.
- It eliminates the frequent complaints about SIM card damage or loss.
- Frequent travellers will appreciate the eSIM because it allows them to switch network operators at a much faster rate.
How to activate eSIM
You must first ensure that you have a compatible phone before you can activate the eSIM service. There are currently a few devices that support this service, including:
- Apple iPhone XS and newer models
- Samsung Galaxy S-series from S20
- Samsung Galaxy Note series from Note20
- Google Pixel 2 and more recent models
- Samsung Galaxy Z and Galaxy Fold devices
You can find out if your device is compatible by dialing *#06# and looking for an EID code. Only EID-enabled devices are eligible.
.The activation of eSIM on MTN, 9mobile, and Airtel networks follows a similar pattern:
- You must visit any MTN store to activate an eSIM. Customer service representatives from the company will verify your device’s eligibility and walk you through the setup process.
- The customer is also expected to walk into select 9Mobile Experience Centres and request an eSIM activation for 9mobile. A QR code will be provided for scanning and downloading an eSIM profile, as well as performing the standard SIM registration.
- Airtel also requires you to visit one of its Service Centers, where customer service representatives will walk you through the process of activating your eSIM.
It should be noted that an eSIM, like a physical SIM, requires registration. A subscriber can also convert his or her existing physical SIM to an eSIM and vice versa.