What most people like about Windows 10 is the improved security features that it has installed, which makes it much more better than previous Windows. This particular security feature, the Windows Defender is really helpful as it blocks all malicious activities. but sometimes not that helpful.
The Windows Defender can limit you from installing softwares on your PC, this is a good reason why you might want to learn how to disable windows defender on Windows 10.
There is no turn off switch for disabling the Windows Defender completely, as you can only put it on pause for only a while, then it will start functioning within some hours. However, with these methods that I’m going to show you today, you are going to disable the Windows Defender completely.
How to disable Windows Defender on Windows 10
There are two methods that I’m going to teach you today that you can use to disable Windows Defender on Windows 10 completely, first is using the registry function and the other is with the local group policy.
How to disable Windows Defender on Windows 10 using Registry
- First of all, open the Run Dialog box on your Windows 10 computer. For that, press the Windows Logo Key + R.
- On the run dialog box, type in ‘Regedit’ and then click on ‘Ok’
- Next, locate the following file HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Policies>Microsoft>Windows Defender. Or else, you can copy and paste the following command on the Registry Search Bar – HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender
- Now right click on the Window panel on the right-hand side and then Select New > DWORD (32-bit) value.
- Name the newly created key as ‘DisableAntiSpyware’ and then press the Enter button.
That’s it, you are done! Now just restart your Windows 10 computer and you have successfully disabled the Windows Defender on your computer. If you wish to enable the Windows Defender, simply delete the newly created DWORD file from registry file.
How to disable Windows Defender on Windows 10 using Local Group Policy
- First of all, press Windows Key + R and it will open up the RUN dialog box.
- In the RUN dialog box, type in gpedit.msc and hit enter. This will open up the Local Group Policy Editor.
- Now on the Local Group Policy Editor, head to the following path; COMPUTER CONFIGURATION > ADMINISTRATIVE TEMPLATES > WINDOWS COMPONENTS > WINDOWS DEFENDER ANTIVIRUS
- Once located, double click on the ‘Turn off Windows Defender Antivirus’ from the right side menu.
- In the next window, you need to select ‘Enabled’ and then click on ‘Apply’
That’s it, you are done! You just need to tap on ‘Ok’ to exit the Local Group Policy editor. So, this is how you can disable Windows Defender from Local Group Policy.
Temporary Disable Windows Defender (Settings)
Well, we understand that not everyone is comfortable with Windows Registry editing. Therefore, in this method, we will be using System Settings to temporary disable Windows Defender. So, let’s check how to temporarily disable Windows Defender in Windows 10.
- First of all, type in ‘Virus and Threat Protection’ in the Windows Search bar.
- Now on the ‘Virus & Threat Protection Settings’ select ‘Manage Settings’
- In the next step, turn off the ‘Real-time Protection’, ‘Cloud Delivered Protection’, ‘Automatic Sample Submission’
That’s it, you are done! This is how you can temporarily disable Windows Defender from your Windows 10 computer. Now just restart your computer for the changes to take effects.
Do you like this tutorial, kindly follow us on Facebook, Twitter & Telegram to get the latest updates straight into your inbox. You can also opt-in for the email newsletter to get daily updates by using the form below this article.