It’s been some months since the premium service was added to Telegram, giving users access to more exclusive features for a certain amount. Since then, Telegram has been getting constant updates. One feature that was added to the recent update was the ability to gift one or more users of the messaging app a premium membership.
At the moment, the features all premium users get to receive are:
- Doubled Limits
- 4 GB File Uploads
- Faster Download Speed
- Voice-to-Text Conversion
- Premium Stickers
- Unique Reactions
- Advanced Chat Management
- Animated Profile Pictures
- Profile Badges
- Premium App Icons
- No Ads
- Custom Emoji
- Voice Message Privacy Settings
Before you can gift a user a premium membership, you need to be a premium subscriber. And right before we continue, here’s a quick guide on how to subscribe to the Telegram premium membership plan:
- Users can subscribe via the App Store, Google Play (Telegram Settings > Telegram Premium), or @PremiumBot. Subscribing via the bot gives users a discounted price because the payments are not subject to fees from Apple or Google.
Now that you’ve gotten a premium membership, you can gift one or more users a premium membership. All you have to do is:
- Open any user’s profile – you’ll see a ‘Gift Premium‘ button under the three dots to send them a prepaid subscription for 3, 6, or 12 months. Prepaid subscriptions are available at discounted rates. It’s that easy.
Here are some other things you need to know concerning Telegram premium:
Q: Why are some premium features not available in some apps?
If you subscribe to Telegram Premium, your account gains access to all available premium features. Some clients may not immediately support one or several of these features – to take full advantage of your subscription, consider using one of the official apps, such as Telegram for Android, iOS, Desktop, and macOS.
Q: I have multiple Telegram accounts, can I subscribe with all of them under a single Google account/Apple ID?
No. A single Google account/Apple ID only supports one ongoing subscription at any given time. For more accounts, you can use @PremiumBot on a supported app to buy additional subscriptions.
Local laws and regulations may prevent people from accessing Telegram Premium in your country. It’s also possible that your country isn’t supported by the payment processors Telegram relies on.
Q: Can I pay in my local currency?
When subscribing via @PremiumBot, the currency and price of your first month of Premium are based on the country code of the phone number of your Telegram account. After this initial payment, all future payments are calculated for the currency of the country of your payment method. (E.g., if your card was issued by a bank in the UK, the payment will be in GBP.)
To qualify for localized pricing, your payment method must be issued by a financial institution in that country and have a local billing address.
If you subscribe via the Play Store or App Store, your currency will be based on your account with Google or Apple.
When you subscribe, the price you see may include store or third-party fees, local taxes, and any other applicable fees that are outside of Telegram’s control.
Q: How can I cancel my subscription?
You can cancel your premium subscription via the same provider you used to purchase it.
- @PremiumBot – Open the bot on Telegram and send the
- Google Play – You can manage your subscription by tapping on your avatar in the top right and navigating to Payments & subscription > Subscriptions.
- iOS – Go to your iOS Settings > Apple ID Settings > Subscriptions.
When you cancel your subscription, all future payments for Telegram Premium are also canceled. You will still have access to all your Premium features until the end of the current billing period, after which they will expire.
Once your subscription expires, your features will be revoked as follows:
- Extra Usernames – You will retain any usernames you have already created but will not be able to create new public usernames unless you own less than 10.
- Extra Channels, extra chats in folders – Your channels and folders will stay as they are, but you will not be able to join more channels or add more chats to those folders.
- Extra Folders – The first 10 folders will remain functional. Any additional folders will be locked.
- Extra GIFs – Any GIFs past 200 will be hidden.
- Longer Bio – Your bio will not be changed, but you can’t save any edits unless it is ≤ 70 characters.
- Extra Pinned Chats – Your first 5 pinned chats will remain, but any additional ones will be unpinned.
- Download Speed – Your files will download at standard speed.
- Premium Badge – Your premium badge will disappear.
All free functionality will remain exactly as it was before subscribing.
You can freely change the phone number associated with your account without losing your subscription – the subscription is linked to your Telegram account, not to your phone number.
Uninstalling Telegram does not cancel your subscription – it will remain available on any device at any time. Note that uninstalling the app or not opening it for some time does not pause your subscription, and you will be billed on its original renewal date.
If you subscribe via @PremiumBot, deleting your account will terminate your recurring payments, as the Bot will not be able to charge an account that no longer exists. It will not be possible to refund any ‘unused’ portion of your billing period.
If you subscribe to Premium via the App Store or Google Play, you will need to cancel your subscription through your Apple or Google account settings – as these platforms may continue to charge you, even if you deleted your Telegram account or application.
Telegram Premium does not come with any special treatment – if you don’t play nice, Telegram may limit some of the functionalities available to you, including your access to the Telegram platform. Therefore, if you violate Telegram’s Terms of Service and receive a ban, you might lose the benefits of Telegram Premium and will not be compensated for any loss.
So, with all that out of the way, what do you think about the Telegram premium, is it a nice addition to the platform as a whole, let’s hear your thoughts below.