MTN Share (formerly Share ‘N’ Sell) is a service that allows you to transfer airtime(credit) from your MTN account to other MTN customers’ accounts. MTN Share can be used by all new and existing prepaid and postpaid customers on the MTN network. You can now transfer airtime Free of Charge.
Every MTN SIM card has a default transfer PIN of 0000, but before you can make use of the MTN Share service as an MTN customer, you need to change the default PIN.
How to change MTN Share default PIN
There are two ways you can use to change MTN Share default PIN, and one way is using SMS while the other way is using USSD.
- To change MTN Share PIN using SMS, you need to send an SMS with your Default PIN New PIN New PIN to 777. For example, send an SMS with ‘0000 1234 1234’ to 777.
- To change MTN Share PIN using USSD, dial ∗777∗Default PIN∗New PIN∗New PIN# on your phone and then click on send/press OK. For example, dial *777*0000*1234*1234# and then send/OK.
If you follow any of these methods, you will successfully change your default PIN and be on the right track to start sharing airtime using the MTN Share service. The next step to take after changing your MTN Share default PIN is to share airtime with your friends and family members.
How to share airtime on MTN
Just like changing the MTN Share default PIN, you have two methods that you can use to share MTN airtime. One way is using SMS while the other way is using USSD.
How to share airtime on MTN using SMS
Send an SMS with Transfer, Recipient’s Number, Amount, and PIN to 777. For example, you can send an SMS with ‘Transfer 08031234567 1500 1234’ to 777.
Upon sending this message, you will receive an SMS asking you to confirm that you want to make the transfer by sending an SMS with ‘YES’ to 777.
How to share airtime on MTN using USSD
Dial ∗777∗Recipient’s Number∗Amount∗PIN# on your phone and then click on send/press OK. For example, dial ∗777∗08031234567∗1500∗1234# and then send/OK. When the transfer is complete, you will receive a message informing you that the transfer was successful.
Things to note about using MTN Share service
- You can only transfer in Naira amounts and not in kobo, i.e., you can move NGN71.00 but not NGN71.99.
- You can transfer between NGN50.00 – NGN5,000.00 in a single transaction.
- You can transfer up to NGN100,000.00 from your phone to either a single or multiple MTN accounts every day.
- There is no limit to the maximum number of transactions per day.
- If your MTN prepaid account does not have enough airtime to cover the amount you have requested to transfer, the transaction will not be successful, and you will receive an error message.
- If you are a postpaid customer, you will only be able to transfer airtime when your account is positive. You will not be able to transfer airtime when your account is negative (-). For example, if your account balance is N-300.00. You will not be able to use MTN Share. On the other hand, if your account balance is N1,000.00, you will be able to transfer airtime up to the available N1,000.00 in your account.